Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Internet and Communication

The Internet has completely changed the way people communicate with each other. Has Anyone seen the television series on HBO called Game of Thrones? Well I love this show it's about old England in medieval times when the kings of the seven kingdoms of England are all fighting for the "Iron Throne" to be the King of Kings. Any way in the show when the Kings want a message delivered to another king in a different section of England, they send a Raven with a message attached to the birds leg.  Imagine the time this method of communication took. Well communication has come a long way since those times.  Not so long ago, writing letters and sending them through the mail is how people communicated from long distances. Then telephones were invented and revolutionized how people could communicate. Well the Internet has completely blown those methods away as a method of communication. The Internet now allows us to communicate with endless numbers of people in in a blink of an eye with the use of emails or through social media outlets such as Skype, Twitter and Facebook.  Smart phones allow people to walk around with all these communication methods in their pockets.  Text messages seem to be the wave now with regards to quick communication between family, friends and co-workers. 
I think that the Internet has allowed people to stay in touch with each other on a more consistent basis by using the above methods of communication.  Unfortunately it has made us more impersonal and less likely to meet someone face to face or call them on the telephone.  I would be lying if I said I didn't use email or texts to communicate with others a lot more then I call them.  I find it to be a convenient, quick and effective way to relay a message, answer a question or just say hello to someone.  I have never been a big talker or letter writer so these new communication methods the Internet now gives us are perfect for me. I have yet to open a Facebook or Twitter account and wasn't planning on doing so for privacy reasons until I saw this weeks activity section for school and found out that this is what the assignment for the week is.  I plan on opening up anonymous sights for these assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment