Saturday, February 16, 2013

Long and Time Consuming

I have found the experience of designing my own web page to be long and time consuming and it still looks like a seven year old did it!  I have certainly found out some things about my proficiency or lack there of with computers.  HTML might as well be in Mandarin Chinese because it is like learning a new language.  You can tell the students in this class that have experience in this type of system. I am definitely not one of those students. I am learning many things obviously that I did not know previously but there is so much to absorb that my mind is scrambled. I try to remember what to do and I follow along the best I can with the video examples and written directions but I always seem to miss a step or < or }.  I have needed and received one on one instruction with Jose and that has helped a lot. (Thanks Jose) My goal is to make my web page look as good or maybe just half as good as some that I have seen.  Looking at other students web pages has been fun but it has also been demoralizing in some ways because I feel inferior when it comes to this stuff. I know everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and my weaknesses have definitely been exposed. Sometimes I feel  like if I had more time to attempt some of the tricks so to speak of designing an attractive web page I think I could potentially be able to do it.  Maybe the timing wasn't the greatest for me to take this class. I am finding this out the hard way...

3 comments:

  1. I can agree with the experience you had during week 4. It was horrible styling the website, looking for different background colors, features. But you learning something new every week. It along time to follow and understand the instructions maybe for the all week for you, because it took me that long,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rich! Your site is nice, I love the images, and the links are working. You were pretty nice to me on the comments about mine and I really appreciated it. I think you work a lot more hours than I do, so I have more time to play with the site. So don't get down. That is great that the Professor is helping you. If I can figure out how to "follow" you on the blog page, I will. -Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment about HTML and Chinese was funny! It is true. We are learning a new language. And it has its rules - just like we have punctuation and grammar rules. It can be a lot to learn and remember. Yes, brain scrambling and head exploding. But, in the end, your website turned out great!!! No reason to feel demoralized :)

    ReplyDelete