Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Effect of the Internet on the Media

     The Internet has had an enormous effect on the media.  The technological advancements that we as a society have seen in just the last five to ten years are incredible.  Computers, laptops, PDA's, smart phones, Ipads etc all are means by which most people obtain their news.  Gone are the days of waiting for the six O'clock news or the morning newspaper. The Internet gives us real time breaking news literally seconds after it happens.  Newspapers and television news programs are still a part of our culture, but have certainly taken a back seat to the Internet in terms of how people get their news especially with the younger computer generation.  Most media outlets in fact utilize computers and the Internet during their telecasts in order to be up to date on breaking  news and information.
Books and movies are also effected by the Internet. People no longer have to go to the movie theatre or buy books at the book store. They can buy or  rent these things on line and  can access them at the click of a mouse. The Internet has changed the way people live. It has made life for many so convenient that they literally don't have to leave their homes.  You can grocery shop online, get all the entertainment you need through your computer. You can do all your banking  online. Many people even work from home utilizing their computer and the Internet.  If you ask me The Internet has made human beings lazy.  I am just as guilty as anyone.  I pretty much use the Internet for all the things I have just mentioned.  Why not utilize the convenience that the Internet provides.      

1 comment:

  1. The internet has certainly changed the way I get my news. I used to be a talk radio news junkie. I would listen to WBZ all day or WRKO. Then the internet became more readily accessible and I have changed to my phone or computer to get my news. I pop into my office and will do a quick scan of the top stories, or if in the car, just use my phone (when I pull over). I even will use Iheart Radio to listen to my morning talk show. Then at home, I am constantly looking all around. I have my favorite news sites all added to my fovorites, and I hit the Huffington Post so I can poke through all of their sources. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete